Saturday, February 15, 2014

A snowy mission at dawn



I struggled to get the flashlight to work, as we trogged into the increasing darkness of the predawn trek...just twenty feet from our garage and the outdoor lights had faded into a memory of the warmth inside. As we struggled to remain upright in the pristine snow that grazed our knees, while balancing four large pieces of luggage from side to side - one trudging step after the other...following the memory of where the driveway once was - the fear of unanticipated issues of strain wore on me as my heart raced.  The intermittent light of the chilled flashlight sporadically guided our steps around the bend of the drive and down the hill to the main thoroughfare, where friends waited to whisk Joe off to the airport. The predawn slog through the snow became necessary the night before, when our snow plow driver broke down at the base of our long driveway, clearing little snow at all. 

As we finally descended the dark precipitous hill and rallied past the plow truck, mired in a snow bank, the fear of collapsing from a heart attack was replaced by actual exhaustion and the thought of immediately retreading that path became unbearable. So, I took the ride to Albany airport with Joe, to gain some rest and restore my energy before wading my way back up the snow bound hill.  He made his flight, I climbed the hill and am now snug in my snowily imposed retreat. From this vantage point, I remain undisturbed, by any and all, who would think twice about visiting.






No comments: